Monday, August 27, 2012

Talent? No sir!

One of my very favorite books about practicing and about musicianship, is a book called The Musician's Way by Gerald Klickstein.  I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to be a good musician, or who wants to make their practice more effective and fun.  In fact, I would recommend this book to EVERYONE.  It is a wonderful book, and it has helped me immensely.

One of the most important concepts covered by the book is that "musical progress depends more on practice than on talent."  This idea is incredibly important to me.  While many people apply the label "talented" to musicians, or athletes, or whoever, it seems like this is an excuse for mediocrity in myself.  "I can't play like that, I'm not as talented."  "I can't perfect this piece, I don't have the talent."  And so on, and so forth.  A discouraging cycle.

However, if talent isn't so important, and work is then why not do my best to become my best?  If work is more important, there is NO REASON why I cannot become a world-class violinist, or cook, or teacher, or whatever I choose to be.  The only thing stopping me is myself.  I am choosing to either limit myself, or push myself to the moon.
Another great book on this subject is The Talent Code by Daniel Coyle.  In this book, Coyle discusses the qualities that seem to be inherent in truly successful people.

Those who we consider to be "talented," it seems have merely worked harder and smarter than everyone else.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am very encouraged by the fact that my genes don't prohibit me from becoming someone great.  My actions can turn me into the person of my choosing, and I can control my actions.  My genes?  Not so much.
So get to work everybody!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment